Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Merging images from different sensor sizes, focal lengths, filters etc?

Hi all,

I've been trying to manually incorporate HA data from a crop sensor DSLR into 'stock' colour data from a full-frame dslr in photoshop.  It's proving very tricky, not least because of the sensor size difference, but I've also made life difficult with different framing / orientation, exposure lengths etc.  And I got to wondering if there's software that can help?

I was also wondering if it was possible to integrate data from significantly different focal lengths (again possibly from different cameras).  For example, can I use images from a telescope to add to data from a wide-ish lens like a 50 - 100mm?  I'm guessing there'll be issues with star sizes etc, if it were possible?

Finally, I'm wondering whether trying to somehow integrate the data before stacking might be better than trying to overlay and blend two differently, but fully processed images?  But all of these things are beyond my current rather basic knowledge of aligning / stacking in DSS, which it seems cannot do the above.

Any advice welcomed!  Hope you're keeping well,

Dez

It’s not free software, but Astro Pixel Processor will combine data from different scopes/cameras, no problem.

I’m sure other image processing packages will do this as well, but APP is the one I use.

• Like 1

On 27/08/2021 at 17:20, tomato said:

It’s not free software, but Astro Pixel Processor will combine data from different scopes/cameras, no problem.

I’m sure other image processing packages will do this as well, but APP is the one I use.

Thanks Tomato, that's helpful - just been having a look at their website, looks very useful.  One thing I can't quite get my head around - I'm assuming you register the various channels / different setups separately first, but do you then stack them separately and use the APP to combine the resultant stacks, or do you throw everything in the pot to stack together? (if that makes any sense!)

I think you create a calibrated and stacked image from each set up then combine these. If you throw them all in at once your PC will need to work very hard to process them all and you would be in for quite a long wait.

Edited by tomato
  • Thanks 1