NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

seeing double, sometimes triple or more

Hi All

With recent weather , we were having I got bored and decided to undertake the mammoth task of updating the Ra/Dec  in my copies of Burnham's celestial handbooks (I know, must be crazy). 

Anyways whilst l was looking for a consolidated list of double and multiple stars I stumbled across this website https://www.stelledoppie.it/ , not sure if any of you were  aware of it, but it has quite extensive and detailed database , so I thought I would share 🙂 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, oscar_camilleri said:

Hi All

With recent weather , we were having I got bored and decided to undertake the mammoth task of updating the Ra/Dec  in my copies of Burnham's celestial handbooks (I know, must be crazy). 

Anyways whilst l was looking for a consolidated list of double and multiple stars I stumbled across this website https://www.stelledoppie.it/ , not sure if any of you were  aware of it, but it has quite extensive and detailed database , so I thought I would share 🙂 

That's a very useful resource - I use it all the time when observing binary stars :thumbright:

It's a good place to check if the data in other resources look iffy.

Last night I had another failed attempt at 6 Cassiopeiae, which SkySafari lists as 1.5", +5.42 and +5.66 - tight for my small scope, but I have managed better when the mags are that similar. I couldn't understand why I wasn't getting even a hint of a split, and then I checked stelledoppie this morning - it lists the second star at +7.95, which is a lot tougher for me (and it also says that this is actually a septuple system! )

• Like 2