NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Using my NEQ6 after 18 months

Hi all. Due to restrictions of travel in covid I could not go on AP sessions for 18 months. My NEQ6 is packed properly in its original packing box where there’s no chance of dirt or dust entering the mount. Are there certain steps or advice on anything that I should be careful about before using the mount. I was just apprehensive if the lubrication of gears is fine, since the mount has been lying in one position for 18 months. Please advice, or maybe I am just being unnecessary paranoid. 

Hi Pankaj,

I have an NEQ6 that I only use for star parties, consequently this has resulted in long periods of storage. I have experienced zero problems recommissioning the mount after a long break. I just mount it on its tripod without a load and just the counterweight bar fitted. Them exercise the mount by slewing around the sky using CDC or Stellarium on my laptop. The sound of the mount motors will tell you if you need to check anything further. Once exercised, I load up and carefully balance the mount in 3 axis.

16 minutes ago, Pankaj said:

Thx a ton for the feedback. I’ll do the same. Before loading the mount with telescope, will exercise it by slewing around first. 

I would be tempted to loosen the clutches first and manually move it. That way you might pick up any potential problems before powering it up. Should be ok though if it has been properly stored like you have done.

2 hours ago, Chefgage said:

I would be tempted to loosen the clutches first and manually move it. That way you might pick up any potential problems before powering it up. Should be ok though if it has been properly stored like you have done.

That’s a good suggestion. Thanks a ton fir the feedback. 

• Like 1