SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

StarSense Autoalign - Calibration Fail

I'm just getting used to my new StarSense camera and something is really confusing me.  The manual says a calibration needs to be done the very first time (and only time I suppose) you start using this camera.  I did the first alignment procedure just fine after a bit of trial and error and then was moving on to the calibration step as follows:

1. Go to "Named Stars"
2. Select a star for alignment and press {ENTER} to begin slewing.
3. Do coarse centering, press {ENTER} when complete.
4. Do fine centering finishing by using UP and RIGHT arrow keys, press {ALIGN} when completed.
5. Press {ENTER} when "Solution Found" message displays.
6. Shut down the mount.
7. Restart the mount and do a StarSense AutoAlign.

My problem occurred during point #5.  It didn't say Solution Found it said ERROR NO SOLUTION. For the life of me I can't figure out why.

Also as a side note, I feel like the mount plate for the camera causes the unit to sort of turn in a bit of a downward position, almost so that I have to believe a tiny bit of the sensor perhaps picks up some of the OTA itself...it's definitely not straight on.  My dew shield doesn't help that matter either, so not sure if these things are related.  I have the unit mounted on the right side of the OTA, so maybe I should move it to the center position.

There is an error in the printed instructions IMHO. My printed manual includes a handwritten note to press ALIGN after step 2. above, then do the coarse centering.

I don't know if this will necessarily fix the ERROR NO SOLUTION but I follow my procedure and I don't get that message and the calibration is effective.

On my C8 I suspect the camera is catching some of the OTA and dew shield in its FOV but it does not appear to matter.  Your camera axis should be parallel to the OTA axis. If it isn't, by a large margin, that could cause a problem if the above procedure does not tune it out.

Edited by Cosmic Geoff
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

There is an error in the printed instructions IMHO. My printed manual includes a handwritten note to press ALIGN after step 2. above, then do the coarse centering.

I don't know if this will necessarily fix the ERROR NO SOLUTION but I follow my procedure and I don't get that message and the calibration is effective.

On my C8 I suspect the camera is catching some of the OTA and dew shield in its FOV but it does not appear to matter.  Your camera axis should be parallel to the OTA axis. If it isn't, by a large margin, that could cause a problem if the above procedure does not tune it out.

Thanks, I'll try this out next opportunity.  For some reason it always feels like these scope manufacturers operate very much like a "mom and pop" shop with their printed collateral and customer service, but sell millions of dollars of product, enough to warrant a higher standard of service than a vague and non-informative manual like it's printed off the same line as a fortune cookie factory.  No wonder it's a difficult hobby to enter, it's very much a DIY/learn yourself via Youtube kind of thing...the official sources almost make it a barrier.

Edited by Maideneer
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

You rock man, that worked! Thanks a million!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 16/08/2021 at 21:28, Cosmic Geoff said:

I was just about to ask about the confusing StarSense Autoalign instructions. The omission you suggest makes more sense. Many thanks. It seems odd to ship a product in 2022 which comes with a 2016 instruction guide and no updates to the guide on Celestron's support page.

Edited by random