Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Tri-Pier for a range of mount types - I like it

GalaxyGael

Just tested out my new tri-pier last night. In short, really like it, more stable than the 1.75" literoc tripod from iOptron. Came with the iOptron head, fits CEM40 and a few others too. Light weight, collapsible, came with a padded carry bag. It gives me the option I suppose of using a military grade insulated waterproof cover and leave it out for a good period at a time.

Mine is Tecnosky, but Altair have a rebadge with a host of colors you'll find familiar (WO scopes, Sharpstar scopes etc.), as do William Optics. They call it the mortar, who knows why (looks like a mortar launcher???)

Pleasantly surprised with its quality and all the benefits of the pier for flips or imaging for an hour 15 degrees past meridian in some cases. Definitely dont feel I am missing out by not having the iOptron pier even though it looks beefier. This is truly portable too for a few might at a dark site or star party etc.

Here it is with my Intes MN56 Mak-Newt riding atop.

asdf.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I think this pier I have shown will take it no problem. I had considered the pier extension, but it is fairly short and the tripod legs still stick out, but you can measure it for 'extreme' dec and RA positions, especially if you let your mount go 15 degress past meridian for example. The long frac will never hit anything of my tri-pier which I why I took the punt on it. Glad I did if I ever have a long frac in the future I guess.

• 1 year later...