Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Using TS-Photon 6" f5 for astrophotography

Hi, I'm starting to get into astrophotography and I wanted to get a new telescope. So far, I've been using a relatives Maksutov-Cassegrain 130/1500 but since I'm in the UK, clear nights are few and far between so I want a faster scope to take advantage of the clear nights better. I'm still fairly new so I don't want to spend too much on the telescope. I've got a Nikon D5100 camera and EQ5 mount that I plan to use with the new scope. I've had my eye on this one: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/telescopes-in-stock/ts-photon-6-f5-advanced-newtonian-telescope-with-metal-tube.html but I've never used a reflector before. Will this coma corrector work with it? https://www.firstlightoptics.com/coma-correctors/baader-mark-iii-mpcc-coma-corrector-photographic.html Will I be able to reach focus with this and the camera or will I need any add ons (I don't plan on using this for visual)? And what tools are recommended for collimating the scope later on?

That should work. You need 55 mm distance from the back of the coma corrector to the camera sensor. Most dslr cameras have a flange (front) to sensor distance of abt 45 mm. The camera T-adapter adds another 10 mm, so you should be ok.

8 hours ago, PaddymarkeJunior said:

Will this coma corrector work with it?

Hi

Yes, but this one just works, produces small stars and will correct all the field of your 5100.

8 hours ago, PaddymarkeJunior said:

tools are recommended for collimating

One of these. And one of these as below. Bottom cut and a 2mm hole in the centre of the cap. A place which develops old type film cassettes will give you several. 

Most important of all, before you adjust anything, be sure to cut through all the Internet mis-information by reading Seronik and Telia. 5 minutes of your time which will save you countless hours in future when collimating.

Cheers and HTH

p22103521.jpg.a9c647e4a0025deaaf6a6928e54ddf67.jpg

Edited by alacant