NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SCT Focuser - Rack and Pinion or Baader Diamond Steeltrack

For some time now I’ve been thinking of adding an external focuser to my C8. It will primarily be for visual use with possibly a binoviewer + a couple of zoom eyepieces, and / or 2” diagonal attached. The main motivation is for better fine focus control although being able to focus for different combinations of diagonal and eyepiece without changing the focal length might also be a minor benefit.

I had been planning to get the Revelation Superfocus 2-inch SCT Rack n Pinion Focuser. However, they appear to have increased in price significantly since I last looked, and are now around the same price as a Baader Diamond Steeltrack SC Focuser.

Is there any reason not to go for the Steeltrack? While I prefer the idea a R&P over a Crayford (less reports of focuser slip and I like the positive feel from a rack and pinion) the Steeltrack approach seems to largely eliminate the slip and I haven’t seen a single bad review.

I might want to add a focuser motor at some point in the future.

A Moonlite is out of budget, and while a Feathertouch Microfocuser is a more expensive but desirable option, I don’t think they are as easy to move from one SCT to another if I change scopes in the future.

Any advice or experiences would be appreciated.

Regards,

Tim

Got a Revelation Superfocus on a refractor and while it is good feels rather crude compared to a Steeltrack. The Steeltrack is just so much smoother and precise. Just feels like a precision instrument.

BTW Moonlite no longer makes regular focusers, only motorised ones.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1