NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

QHY8 - H-alpha Response ?

jcm

I stand corrected:embarassed:

Further checking shows it's the Sony ICX 453AQ chip, the same as the ones in the Nikon D40-D70 series cameras.

( I believe the red sensitivity comes from the fact that there's no UV-IR filter built in like the std DSLR's - so it works like a modded DSLR)

They do have an IR filter; this blocks above 676nm.

My QHY8 came with a clear glass filter and an ir block. You have to be very careful about substituting this filter unless you actually mount something else within the nosepiece since any the arrangement needs to be airtight to avoid icing. I know, I've tried!

My QHY8 came with a clear glass filter and an ir block. You have to be very careful about substituting this filter unless you actually mount something else within the nosepiece since any the arrangement needs to be airtight to avoid icing. I know, I've tried!

Yep , after careful thought I think I will leave this filter in place and see what is produced when I try the H-alpha fiter.

John

Shouldn't affect the Ha response; the cut-off, according to the graph is well beyond this wavelength.

Thanks for the confirmation.

If its clear tomorrow ( IF ) I should be able to give it a go - 2" H-alpha filter arrives tomorrow.

John

Archived