Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron Nexstar 8SE finderscope upgrade

Hello, I want to upgrade my finderscope, I want a 90 degree diagonal so it's easier to use and one with a small amount of magnificatio to get better alignment. This one seems to be the default celestron upgrade.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/celestron-illuminated-right-angle-correct-image-finderscope.html

Any better options, I will also be getting starsense, but I do want a visual finderscope too.

Thanks

I'm not sure the illuminated reticle is worth the extra money, unless you have very dark skies.  On the other hand you get a complete package that screws onto the C8 without you needing to buy a finder shoe, and it is in stock per the FLO website.

26 minutes ago, Oldfort said:

I'm not sure the illuminated reticle is worth the extra money, unless you have very dark skies.  On the other hand you get a complete package that screws onto the C8 without you needing to buy a finder shoe, and it is in stock per the FLO website.

I was similarly considering an illuminated crosshair finder as I couldn't quite picture how you could see it without it but I recently purchased a 6x30 right angle one with normal crosshairs and because the lines are pretty broad it shows up well against my suburban skies and also covers the star once you're centred on it so all good

It's a matter of choice, but a finder upgrade is not really necessary for a Goto scope.  My C8 SE has the stock red dot finder, which I only needed to use for setup at the beginning of a session.   One can usually pick a couple of alignment stars that avoid neckache. And now I have fitted Starsense on this scope I don't use the red dot finder at all.

Thanks for the replies guys. 

I want this to learn as well, I'd like a second scope effectively showing me a wider fov so I can isolate the surrounding stars in relation to the one in the main scope. So when the goto slews to something I can match it to my copy of "turn left at orion". Probably won't work out like that.

Although like you say geoff, if I do get starsense the finderscope might become redundant. 

Edited by GalaticBoba

24 minutes ago, GalaticBoba said:

So when the goto slews to something I can match it to my copy of "turn left at orion". 

I specifically chose a 6x30 with a very similar FOV for the very purpose of matching up to what is shown in the book. So far out of the half dozen or so targets I've located (early days) their description and illustration have been spot on. 

48 minutes ago, etsatlo said:

I specifically chose a 6x30 with a very similar FOV for the very purpose of matching up to what is shown in the book. So far out of the half dozen or so targets I've located (early days) their description and illustration have been spot on. 

Excellent idea, which one did you go with?

47 minutes ago, etsatlo said:

I went for this one. The right angle helps save the neck and matches the view of the telescope but does mean the image is flipped vs the book. 

I did consider this as well but decided the right angle would be comfier (happy with that choice!)

You could have got a RACI (correct image right angle finder).  Sometimes you have to quiz the supplier to distinguish between a RACI and non-RACI angled finder.  Skywatcher for instance do both and they look the same and sell for similar prices.

• Like 1