Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar Scope and modded DSLR connectivity

Good morning :)

I am in the market for a solar telescope which I will be using for live-streaming for STEM activities and have a question on connectivity to a modded DSLR. I have a choice of a modded 6D and modded 60D - the latter with the "movie crop mode". I am currently considering a Daystar Scout SS60 and looking at adding a Quark to T adapter + DS interference eliminator and I am "guessing" these would couple directly into the back of the built-in quark after removal of the diagonal. Please correct me if I have got the imaging train incorrect. I am also guessing that the helical focuser would be sufficient to bring the DSLR into focus with no addition spacers required (for this scope/T adapter).

Has anyone done any imaging like this or can offer advice please. I also have a ZWO ASI178MC (OSC) which I know would provide better results but when I deliver talks to groups, most are photography groups and the photographers relate more to a DSLR - hence preferring this approach.

Many thanks in advance,

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Lunt LS60THa purchased and imaging is better than expected - no Newtons Rings either on DSLR or the CMOS. I do however get banding issues on the OSC which I am hoping flat flames might cure.  Ever since I bought it the weather has been pants !!!

Congratulations on your new purchase Steve. I use a 178MM with the Lunt60 and have no banding problems. Can you post an image to show what they're like. I'm sure you also know a mono camera would give a better result than a OSC for Solar too. 😊

Do you manage to fit the full disk using the DSLR in movie crop mode? My 700D would in theory, with just a few pixels to spare but I haven't tried it. 🙂

Alan