NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ5 Power Source

Hello everyone I have just received my new Sky-watcher EQ5 Mount including the EQ5 PRO (SynScan) handset I'm  now looking for a Power Source it is supplied with a car auxiliary plug, I have a 240-volt indoors plug which can be reduced down to 12-volt would using this type of power supply damage the mechanism of the Mount? if so has anyone any other recommendations to get a power supply thanks in anticipation.

Regards Roger

Any 12volt dc supply of 4 to 5 amps upward should be fine.

It will also work from a portable power unit (12v battery).

The mount will probably perform better with a 13.8v DC supply , this is a 12v battery voltage when fully charged.

(can accept up to 15volts but normally safer to limit it to 13.8 v).

The one below is quite convenient

(it has a socket for the car auxiliary plug to fit into)

You can keep the (mains) supply indoors and extend the 13.8v DC cable outside with an extension (rated at 5 amps).

Nevada PS-08 6-8A Regulated Linear Power Supply | First Light Optics

1.jpg

Edited by fifeskies
  • Like 2

There is always the good old battery power pack if 230V isn't easily available...

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/batteries-powerpacks/skywatcher-powertank-7ah.html

I have the larger 30A version of the Nevada, they are very good but they are bench power supplies so you will need to put it in a weatherproof box if you intend to take it outside near to your mount.

If you need to extend the low voltage car auxiliary side, High quality 5m one

Lynx Astro Silicone Power Cable Extension | First Light Optics

(out of stock at the moment)

3.jpg

Amazon also do a good quality heavy duty 5 metre version

Sucre Auxiliary 12-24V 15A Heavy Duty Power Motorcycle Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Plug Extension 5 Meter 16 ft (5 M Extension) : Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo.

2.jpg

Edited by fifeskies

The high current cables may seem like overkill but they do allow you to add other elements at a later stage without needing to upgrade the cable.

With a splitter at the mount end you can add in a dew heater.

OP does not mention what scope he is using , but a large dew heater (or 2 , another one on a finder/guider,) may require a couple of amps on its own.

And if he gets tempted into astrophotography 😱

with a cooled camera , another 3 amps would be needed for that.

• Like 1