NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First stab at M31 with a 50mm lens

Andromeda cropped widefield with a vintage lens:

Absolute beginner here! So whilst I wait on stock coming into the UK for the telescope I am looking to buy/still yet to make a decision between a reflector and refractor, I've been playing about with my camera (Sony A6300) and a Star Adventurer mini to see what I can capture and practice navigating around my bortle 4(ish) night sky.

This evening I decided to dig out my old film Olympus OM Zuiko 50mm f1.8 and point it in the rough direction of Andromeda. The below is the result of a stack of 18 x 120s images processed through sequator and photoshop. The lens isn't the best by quite a long way and I'm sure my focus was slightly off but as a first attempt at anything close to deep sky I was quite happy to see any kind of result, especially with just a hint of detail showing up.

If nothing else it's all good practice and has definitely made me want to get a hold of a telescope sooner rather than later.

(If I've posted this in the wrong sub forum let me know and I'll repost it elsewhere)

Andromeda_om50.thumb.jpg.946f193a99bad4477a445e78b5a45319.jpg

• Like 13

That's a very pleasing result.

6 hours ago, AR86 said:

processed through sequator and photoshop

If you were taking raw images it might be worth experimenting with DeepSkyStacker - it's also free and well supported. You could also experiment taking some calibration frames - all good skills to practise before getting that first telescope.

Good luck.

Adrian

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Great start mate. But in my opinion, it's a bit over processed. In fact, it looks almost identical to my first M31 image that I took last spring. 

I recently re processed it and I got a far better result from the same data. Have a look a my first and second results. 

These are from the exact same data, acquired with a DSLR and an F/5.6 70-300mm lens 

Its all a learning curve and my advice to you is never settle for your first result. Revisit the data a few weeks down the line and try to use other images as a reference.

Good job! Keep it up.

m31 xmas.jpg

M31 110820 01.jpg

• Like 1

Forgot to mention that I agree with the other members advice. Try deep sky stacker. Super easy to use. Or Siril. My new favourite stacker. Sequator is good, but I usually tend to get better results from the other 2.

But that may just be my relative inexperience in AP.

Cheers

Edited by MKHACHFE
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, MKHACHFE said:

But in my opinion, it's a bit over processed.

Thanks, I absolutely agree with you. I'm actually waiting on some slightly more modern glass arriving (and for a clear night) to try again as that image was taken right at the focus stop with that lens/adapter combo so the raw images are slightly out of focus. By that I mean I can't quite reach infinity focus.

I have done a few milky way widefield shots on a Sigma 16mm through Siril and DSS previously so will definitely revisit them once I've got some better images in the can.

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

A