Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Thinking about Apollo 11 Today

PembrokeSteve

HI,

With it being 20th July today, yes, another anniversary of the Apollo 11 landing when the Lunar Module Eagle touched down and delivered the first human beings to walk on the Moon,  I thought it nice to upload these two images which imaged on 15 July 2021.

Both images taken using my Vixen VC200L and ZWOASI178MC camera.

Image one is a slightly cropped widefield shot (using camera image capture 1920x1200) of the Mare Tranquillitatis Region. The craters Ritter and Sabine and Moltke can be seen, with the prominent craters Theophilus, Cyrillus and Catharina on the right of the image.

Image two was shot using camera resolution 1024x768 which allowed me to get in a bit closer to the landing site ROI.  The craters Ritter and Sabine and Moltke are clearly seen.  I marked the "approximate"  Apollo 11 landing site with a small x. 

Regards,

Steve

15-07-2021_21.37UT_Moon_VC200L_ZWO187MC_JPEG.jpg

15-07-2021_21.43UT_Moon_VC200L_ZWO178MC_JPEG.jpg

• Like 3

Nice images and good memories. I was 9 years old when that happened - I remember following the missions avidly.

Probably largely responsible for me being in this hobby, on this forum and typing this now as it happens !

• Like 1

The closest crater to the Apollo 11 site which is resolvable in amateur equipment is Cat's Paw, visible just to the left of the landing site in the photo in @Craney 's post. It shows up just barely in images taken with a 5 inch Mak, so a 200mm scope should be able to show it well.  Never seen it visually though. Armstrong and Collins are easier. 

Of course the holy grail is to image the actual landing module! During the lunar morning it may cast a long shadow, say 100 meters, but even then I think it's beyond the atmosphere  resolution limit from planet earth.

• Like 2