NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Deslandres A Fine Spectacle Now!

cloudsweeper

I set up the AR102S frac (grab 'n' go, easy) at 6.30pm - Moon, first quarter, lowish, SE - saw Archimedes, Walther, Orontius - but too light.

Returned at 9.00 - more fine detail - upped the mag from x34 to x100 - nice group of craterlets in Walther.  Deslandres was just west of that, and right on the terminator.  What a treat, awash with detail - craters (Hell, Lexell), craterlets, pits.

Then on to x150 (x200 lacked clarity), and Deslandres revealed a nice straight line of about five craterlets, in the middle, east side, and pointing roughly north - very nice.

By 9.30, Luna was well past south, and being low, was about hide behind trees.  But a very enjoyable session - something new and interesting, using a very convenient telescope!

Doug.

• Like 3

Hello. Very nice night fir Luna. 
Might I add that the Straight Wall is looking bang on just now - 22.40. -  very wide “shadow” looking like a sword with the mountain complex at the bottom.  My SW150 with binoviewers doing the do !! 

John 

• Like 2

On 17/07/2021 at 22:41, Telescope40 said:

Hello. Very nice night fir Luna. 
Might I add that the Straight Wall is looking bang on just now - 22.40. -  very wide “shadow” looking like a sword with the mountain complex at the bottom.  My SW150 with binoviewers doing the do !! 

John 

Good one, John!  I went out next evening (y'day) for a further look, similar time.  Spotted Rupes Recta (Straight Wall) - a dark gash.  When light falls the other way, it's a bright line of course.  Copernicus, Clavius, Tycho, Deslandres again - but I particularly enjoyed Maginus, just off-terminator: a treat, a delight of detail, with very little shadow.  I then had a quick look north - Plato, with its smooth floor, surrounded by seas, in sharp contrast to the rugged southern highlands.  Didn't manage to see any pits in Plato, sadly.

Just after sunset is a good time for Luna - fine detail becomes prominent, but the Moon is still not too bright.

Doug.

• Like 1

On 17/07/2021 at 21:47, cloudsweeper said:

I set up the AR102S frac (grab 'n' go, easy) at 6.30pm - Moon, first quarter, lowish, SE - saw Archimedes, Walther, Orontius - but too light.

Returned at 9.00 - more fine detail - upped the mag from x34 to x100 - nice group of craterlets in Walther.  Deslandres was just west of that, and right on the terminator.  What a treat, awash with detail - craters (Hell, Lexell), craterlets, pits.

Then on to x150 (x200 lacked clarity), and Deslandres revealed a nice straight line of about five craterlets, in the middle, east side, and pointing roughly north - very nice.

By 9.30, Luna was well past south, and being low, was about hide behind trees.  But a very enjoyable session - something new and interesting, using a very convenient telescope!

Doug.

Sounds like a great session Doug.  I was also out with my Tecnosky 102ED F7 and had some good views too.

• Like 1