Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Getting out

A combination of cloud and it being 'too light to make it worthwhile' had called a bit of a hiatus to my observing.  I know I could wait most nights until the right conditions come along, but I don't tend to follow weather reports; their idea of clear skies differ to mine by quite a degree.

But last night at about 23:30, I looked out of the window and could see stars.  So clothes went on over the PJs and out went the telescope and I.

It took me a while, but I eventually found M14, which was my principle target for the session.  It doesn't seem to have very much near to it on which to get a fix, that coupled with it being in some light pollution for my location made it an awkward spot.

On the shed PC (I have the screen in the shed window near to the telescope) I saw that M71 and M27 were nearby.  M71 was one of those which is just a suggestion of an image in the eyepiece, I had to know exactly where to look to be able to see it.  M27 though was very clear which I find odd considering that their magnitudes are 6.10 and 7.40 respectively. 

I didn't realise that M71 and M27 were already on my 'spotted' list until I checked my logs, later.  But not a problem, it just goes to show the importance of planning ahead a bit and it was all good practise.

I then saw something really bright appear into my patch of sky from behind the houses, so was treated to a very good view of Jupiter.  Despite it being considered too low, I could see banding as well as 4 moons.  Realising that Saturn must be around as too, I quickly found that.  It's always a thrill to see the rings.

Finishing off at around 01:30 I was just having a general trundle around and bumped into a fuzzy patch in the finderscope which turned out to be the Cooling Tower Cluster.

Altogether a successful and pleasing session, and worth the effort and lost sleep.  

• Like 6