Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

54 mins of NGC6960 - The Western Veil / Witch's Broom Nebula. ED72 + Canon 1000D

FaB-Bo-Peep

This is a total of 54 minutes, (18 x 3 mins), of data of NGC6960 - The Western Veil / Witch's Broom Nebula. This is another target that I have never looked at before. Taken with my ED72 and Canon Rebel XS, (1000D).  Filter was an Optolong L-Pro, all controlled through my ASI Air Pro.

Veil-DSS-STARTOOLS-GIMP-SOFTEN ALL-FINAL-V2-JPEG.JPEG

ED72.jpg

• Like 3

Very nice star shapes over all the frame. :thumbsup: Some flats and more data will make it even better. It doesn't look like you're dithering between subs, which should improve the blotchy background too. You need at least 12 pixels of dither for DSLRs generally. 🙂

Alan

• Like 1

Thanks, I'm struggling to get the spacing on my field flattener correct so the nice stars at the edges are courtesy of Startools wonderful "repair" module.  I believe I had the ASI Air Pro set to dither every 3 frames but might reduce the interval and will certainly check how many pixels it's moving. I think I got a bit greedy and over stretched the data at the start of processing. Flats and more data would definitely improve things as you say but in terms of data acquisition , I always struggle to keep my scope pointed at any one object for too long as there's so much to image and so few clear nights. 🙂

• Like 1

Like you when starting out I tended to flit from target to target getting a little from each, but now concentrate on one target for several nights if necessary. As you say with so few clear nights at the moment that's not so easy. Dithering every 3 frames as you did should be fine, as long as you take enough frames in total to give the dithering a chance to do its stuff. Six dithers in your imaging run of 18 frames is not really enough I would say. You fooled me with the Startools repair module too. 😁

Alan

• Like 1