Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

15.05.2021 Mewlon 180c vs Skywatcher 120ED PRO (gold)

Fedele

Yes, 
But what i m thinking is that a Refractor can do Planetary imaging and can be a good substitutes of reflectoer....so a 140 APM probably can be the option
The plus of the refractor is that i universal. 
NB: the Mewlon is in the  fine collimation process (i m learn collimation )

• Like 1

Both are brilliant shots, better than I ever achieve regardless of the scope. I would agree the Mewlon has the edge. But it should do with a 50% advantage on resolving power, assuming the pixel size is correctly matched.. I wonder what the result would be if the exposures were balanced...the refractor shots look a little darker to me, possibly down to the slightly slower f ratio. For me it's something of a moral victory for the SW.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Great images. The Mewlon has the edge, I would say

I agree.

Considering the cost, age and aperture difference, the ED120 does pretty well though.

Edited by John
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fedele said:

Yes, 
But what i m thinking is that a Refractor can do Planetary imaging and can be a good substitutes of reflectoer....so a 140 APM probably can be the option
The plus of the refractor is that i universal. 
NB: the Mewlon is in the  fine collimation process (i m learn collimation )

For planetary imaging, I use an SCT (Celestron C8), which holds collimation extremely well. A refractor of similar resolution would cost the earth (much more than a bigger SCT). I might well go for a C11 or even C14, but refractors in that aperture range are beyond my wallet

• Like 1

I m planning  to Buy a C11 (the max i can on the SXD2), with its limits. 

But i need a refractor mechanically and optically better for imaging planet, moon , sun... and all the rest (TS125, TS130, APM140, TSA 120....i m evaluating)

or wouls be simply more transportable  and of best quality (TSA120, TS115)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fedele said:

I m planning  to Buy a C11 (the max i can on the SXD2), with its limits. 

But i need a refractor mechanically and optically better for imaging planet, moon , sun... and all the rest (TS125, TS130, APM140, TSA 120....i m evaluating)

or wouls be simply more transportable  and of best quality (TSA120, TS115)

In my experience, for planetary and lunar imaging a big SCT will beat a smaller refractor. Aperture is king in lucky imaging. I don't believe a TSA120 or TS115 will be able to get a Jupiter image like the best one I got from my Celestron C8 

JupiterContrastSatBoosted.jpg.6f76580d2f18404f6302e550c72a7d56.jpg

I have at times even resolved albedo spots on Ganymede. Your Mewlon would give the C8 a serious run for its money, but a 4" or 5" refractor? I doubt it. Damian Peach seems to be happy with big SCTs, so I will stick with my big aperture approach. 

• Like 1