NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mercury 707 or 70ED?

I have been in a box for a while thinking about getting a 70mm ED scope for visual use. Thinking outside that box why not a Mercury 707 instead? I have never looked through one, but at F10 and only 2.7" aperture, CA should be well controlled. The scope is let down by it's mount, but I would buy OTA only. The 707's price and weight are very attractive, and only the length makes it a bit doubtful as a travelscope. Could it replace my ST80 as a green light solar scope without melting? Is the focuser as bad as it looks?

There is also a 60mm 700mm focal length OTA for even less money - there should be no CA in that...

I'm not sure about the 707 but I got a used 705 with an AZ3 mount (I was only after the mount for a lightweight set up)and it was pretty awful. Optically it was just about ok, but it was poorly made with masses of slop in the focuser and just felt cheap. I was thinking of replacing my ST80 with the longer FL 705 for use as a guide scope but it was not good enough.

Optically the 707 may be marginally better, but the build quality I suspect will be the same.

• Like 1