Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Binoviewer diy collimation.

Chaz2b

Having purchase a set of TV Binovues knowing they had a fungus problem. I set about taking them apart, with these it’s simply four tiny screws holding the plastic body, back to those tiny screws in a moment.

Doing this reveals the offending prism that is held in place by four brass screws. I removed the prism using an Orion micro cloth so I wouldn’t get my sticky fingers on the surfaces.

Now, how do you get at fungus that’s seemingly trapped between two enclosed surfaces? Firstly I dropped a few drops of isopropyl alcohol into the gap and let it dry out in my airing cupboard, I then used my puffer to blow as hard as I could into the gap, wow, it’s worked!

Now getting it collimated and back together, whoops , that’s when I knocked over the lid that contains the four TINY screws into a room full of stuff!

The collimation method was simply placing the binoviewer into my TV85 and adjusting the left eye prism into focus and then adjusting the four brass screws until the right eyepiece came into the same focus without any doubling of the image! In the end I am very pleased how relatively easy it was to do, I’ve even repainted the inside of that plastic cover Matt black as the original paint looked decidedly washy.

Now, where’s that last TINY screw gone!?

chaz

Edited by Chaz2b
Getting old and blind apparently.
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...