SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First time adding data to an image

Hi all,

Last night I captured more data to add to an exisiting image of Bode's Galaxy and the Cigar Galaxy.

I've not added data to an existing image before so I have a few questions about the best practice?

FYI, all settings were exactly the same, 30sec lights at ISO800, although I'm not sure how similar the temperature was between each session.

1. I am assuming it is best to start from scratch in DSS and load the original lights and last nights lights to start a new image?

2. I took darks last night when I had finished imaging, should I use them as well as the original darks or is that not necessary?, ditto biases and flats as well?

Thankyou in advance for any advice.

Jeff

Edited by fortytwo

17 minutes ago, fortytwo said:

1. I am assuming it is best to start from scratch in DSS and load the original lights and last nights lights to start a new image?

Yes - stack all subs together

18 minutes ago, fortytwo said:

2. I took darks last night when I had finished imaging, should I use them as well as the original darks or is that not necessary?, ditto biases and flats as well?

No, don't mix calibration subs.

Calibrate each set of subs with their respective calibration files.

Thanks for the reply Vlaiv. The second point has confused me a bit, I understand don't mix callibration frames but then you've said to calibrate each set of subs with their respective calibration, how do I do this withjout mixing them.

In my head I was going to load the 400 subs from the first session and the 300 from the second session all at once into DSS and then add the first sessions callibration frames, how do I add the second session callibration without mixing them with the first? or....

Is there a way of doing the first session and second session stacks seperately and then combining them after the stack?, ie I have the first session tif already so create one for the second session and then combine them?

Thankyou for the advice.

Jeff

Edited by fortytwo

DSS has feature called groups - where you can group your files.

image.png.7a2adea1f8059c521b5abc2b12817c2e.png

As soon as you add files to one group - next "tab" appears so you can add another group of files.

Add all files from first night into Main group and add all files from second night into Group 1

Files in group should be processed with calibration files in the same group - files from all groups should then be stacked together (I never used this feature myself - but I think that is how it will work).