Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dithering with Shake reduction?

Martaniu

I have a Pentax KP that I am using for astrophotography since I am not that deep into it yet. I discovered that there is a built in system called "astrotracer" to take astrophotography pictures. Since I don't have a GPS Unit though its fairly useless. So a couple of months ago I bought a Skywatcher Star Adventurer to start with tracked pictures. So far I have dithered my subs manually by adjusting the screws on the mount but I am wondering if its possible to use the in built feature "Astrotracer" to dither the frames. Anyone got any experience with that?

17 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

Did I read that you're adjusting the mount to do like a manual dither?

Which screws are you adjusting? As you are probably just messing things up

On the star adventurer there is a screw to slowly turn the part where the camera is mounted to. I turn that one to turn the camera just a bit between pictures. There also are two buttons to rotate the tracker slightly faster than usual. I use them to turn the mount a bit between exposures aswell. I am not adjusting the polar alignment screws or anything like that.

As I understand astrotracer, it does the opposite of Dithering.

It tracks the movement of an object, and recentres it when the image is taken.

But eventually runs out of range.

Shake Reduction is something else, rapid correction of focus.

Michael

Edited by michael8554