Linux on Pi4 - capture software & focuser control only.

I know of, and own, Astrobberry, Stellarmate & AsiairPro so this may seem an odd question.

For the forthcoming eclipse I wanted to tailor a remote Pi4 setup for solar.

It would be using:

• SW solarquest solar tracking mount
  • Coronado Solarmax 60 with moonlite focuser with stepper motor fitted
  • Arduino with motor hat or the waveshare shield on the Pi4
  • Firecapture or possibly another capture software
  • camera to be decided - DMK41 if it still does the job.

By remote I mean being inside (garage or house) with setup in the garden - to save my delicate skin from the hot UK sun in our clear blue skies (fingers crossed).

So I think this means I'd need the OS, the capture software and an app to handle the focusing. OR a way to use Ekos with a dummy mount - as the other parts all work in Ekos.

Suggestions welcome, even if it means doing a little coding in VB or Python (for a standalone focuser app).

Thanks

Steve

By "Moonlite with stepper motor fitted" do you mean with the Moonlite focuser controller, or a "random" stepper motor that needs stuff to control the stepper?

I've not played with Firecapture for some years so I can't really comment on that, but I'd hope oacapture should work with the DMK41 on the RPi (I only have a Firewire DMK41, so can't specifically test the USB version) using the UVC interface.

James

Hi James,

I have oacapture on my radar 😀

The focuser & motor are both moonlite, and I do have a moonlite hand controller tucked away too. The focus controller I was intending to use would be one of the arduino based units or the Raspberry Pi shield (made by Waveshare) as these are working with Indilib drivers.

The controllers work on moonite & lakeside,  I used a lakeside control box/interface on Windows but wanted to cut the cabling down by having smaller aduino units on the scopes.

Did not think to see if the moonlite hand-controller could work on Linux. 

1 hour ago, JamesF said:

I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me if the focuser were supported by INDI/Ekos.

James

All the focusers/arduinos work inside Ekos, so that's not an issue.

53 minutes ago, wimvb said:

The focuser should work with INDI afaIk. For the rest, use a mix of real device drivers and simulator drivers in INDI/Ekos.

It's that mix I will need to check - was not sure if I could mix real & simulation devices. I guess will have a try that way then.

Thanks guys.

2 hours ago, StevieDvd said:

It's that mix I will need to check - was not sure if I could mix real & simulation devices. I guess will have a try that way then.

Thanks guys.

They do mix, it's a great way to test new gear. I also have a profile with the telescope simulator for calibration frames. That way I'm sure the scope won't move unexpectedly when I have a flat panel on top.

Edited by wimvb