NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HEQ5 and APT connection issue

I have a new HEQ-5 Pro mount and I just started using APT (V. 3.87) . I've already downloaded the ASCOM drivers from the Skywatcher website and the ASCOM 6 platform. I am connecting the mount to the laptop through the Synscan hand controller using a USB type B port on the hand controller. When I connect on APT, it says "connected to sky watcher driver, unrecognized model #56". Some control over the mount is possible, but is this error message a problem that needs solving ?

You would be better just using an EQDIR cable plugged straight in to the same socket the hand controller goes and plug that into the computer https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/lynx-astro-ftdi-eqdir-usb-adapter-for-sky-watcher-eq5-pro-heq5-syntrek-pro-az-eq5-gt-az-eq6-gt-and-eq8-mounts.html. Forget about using the hand controller.

Has the handset been set to PC-DIRECT mode ?

I agree with the others.  Purchase an EQDIR cable and used EQMOD or GSS server to control the mount and then let APT and other applications control the mount through them.

• Like 1

It's a big step, but the right one. I was very reluctant to take it because I'd become very used to using the handset as a relay with my old AZ mount. Then I got a second-hand NEQ6 (funnily enough through this forum) and wanted to do the same, but whenever I flashed the handset to be in relay mode, it wouldn't have it. Wouldn't work in PC Direct mode either (although relay mode is supposed to be better). Then, when I got an EQDIR cable, that didn't work either, with the default Sky-Watcher drivers. Then, on advice from this forum, I went the EQMOD route, instead of the Sky-Watcher drivers, and never looked back. EQDIR and EQMOD is absolutely rock-solid, and you can just let it all work in the background with no problems. So yes, forget the handset, get the EQDir cable, set up EQMOD via that link I shared (you don't need Stellarium and Stellariumscope but they come in handy sometimes - even though Stellarium now supports ASCOM, I think Stellariumscope offers a quick, easy way to align your scope if you're not plate-solving), and you won't look back.

Edited by BrendanC

+1 for EQMOD, it's the only way to go. Make sure you get a cable that has FTDI chipset, not the Proliant one that Skywatcher sells. The Lynx Astro ones are excellent.

I agree it's nice to have a physical hand controller for slewing. It is possible to use a generic XBox or PS2 controller through the AscomPad interface if you really want buttons and knobs.

• Like 1

I agree. I use the eqdir connection and bypass the handset altogether. Sometimes I find it useful to have hand control in which case I use a wireless game controller through eqmod. The model I have is Molyhood Xbox 360 controller. It was easy to setup and it's very convenient to use at the eyepiece or finder.  About £25 from amazon.