Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher 72ED DS Pro travel setup, are these items a good match?

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to put together a compact and lightweight travel setup for taking on holiday and venturing further afield than my back garden.

I think I've narrowed it down to:

*Skywatcher 72ED DS Pro.

*OVL field flattener.

*Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer 2i Wi-Fi Pro Pack. I would also purchase a shutter release cable to allow the Star Adventurer to control the camera via the app.

These would be used with my existing Canon Rebel XS (1000D), for which I already have a T ring.

Are these a good match? I've seen several disturbing reports of people struggling to obtain a flat field with the 72ED + flattener and having to use spacers which in turn leads to an issue of lack of inward focus?

Any better options for a similar budget?

If anyone has example photos taken with the 72ED + OVL flattener I would love to see them please.

Thanks in advance

😀

I can only recommend that exact setup. The only problem is that balancing can be a little difficult with the short dovetail on the Evostar 72, but a longer one would fix this issue. The OVL flattener works great for the 72ED and my Nikon D3300, but unfortunately I haven't had many opportunities to use it execpt on M45 a while back:

It's a cheap and portable setup and I still use the Evostar 72ED regularly for visual use and now also for H-alpha solar observing with a quark chromosphere.