Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Chalk-/whitecoal sketch of western Mare Nectaris

acr_astro

Dear all,

yesterday evening the sky got clear after a heavy shower so I could do a quick and tiny lunar sketch. This time a bright linear structure at the edge of the terminator has drawn my attention. When looking into my lunar atlases and books afterwards, it turned out that this Dorsum parallel to Rima Beaumont seems to be unnamed. However it was wonderfully visible at the terminator when the rising sun just illuminated the highest parts of it whereas the shallow floors east and west of it still was in the dark.  The Dorsum is running from south to north between Beaumont and Mädler east of the rims of Theophilus and Cyrillus F.

20210516_Western_Mare_Nectaris_02.JPG.32afc6add5942bf50d748ef7c497402a.JPG

Telescope: TS 70/420 ED
Eyepiece: ExploreScientific 6.7mm/82° with ExploreScientific 2x focal extender
ate & Time:  May 16th, 2021 / 2200-2230 CEST
Technique: Koh-i-Noor chalk pen and whitecoal pen on black sketching paper
Size: 8 x 12 cm

This time I tried to catch the subtile darkness at the terminator without using charcoal pens

Clear skies!

Achim

Edited by acr_astro
  • Like 8

Hi Achim, nice idea to look at this obscure dorsum. I have spotted it in the past but not made the effort to properly observe it. Re not using charcoal - always good to try out new approaches but my first reaction is the lack of charcoal makes the sketch look flat. It lacks the 3D effect that you normally capture so well.

Have fun,

Mike 

• Thanks 1

Hi Mike,

thanks for your feedback. I totally agree with you: The charcoal really improves the three-dimensional appearance of the sketch. So this one lacks a bit of it.

Clear skies!

Achim