Canon 6D +Baader BCF2 modification

tala

Hi all,

I recently bought Canon 6D for wide field shots - Milky Way with 35mm 85mm and 135mm.

I understand that it’s recommended to Astro modify it so I bought the Baader BCF2 filter but I also read that in some cases this filter can create halos or false color. 
there are a lot of methods and I am really stuck with which one to choose:
1. Remove LPF#1 , replace LPF#2 with Baader filter
2. Replace LPF#2 with Baader filter and keep LPF#1
3. remove LPF#1 and #2 (no Baader filter)
4. Remove only LPF#2 and keep LPF#1 (no Baader filter)

I think I will go with #2 - for the Baader mod, how many turns do I need to add to the adjustment screws of the sensor (if any) , and is it matter (turns wise) if I keep LPF#1 or not ? 

Will be happy to hear from someone who has done both modes and can help with that 
thanks in advance ! 

P.s If anyone also have a tutorial on how to blacken the led (SD card) that would be great !

For use with your Canon lenses, top priority is getting the sensor in a position where infinity focus and Autofocus can be achieved.

IMO the sensor can't be moved forwards enough to get this with all the filters removed.

You can with just the #LPF-2 filter removed, retaining the #LPF-1 for IR Filtering and Dust Removal, and the sensor position adjusted forwards.

The optical viewfinder will not be accurate, but Autofocus and Liveview focus will.

If you don't know how far forward to move the sensor, then remove #LPF-2 and add the Baader filter, I believe you will then still have correct focus.

Others reckon that a Clip-In filter can be used instead of the Baader to keep focus correct.

Michael

Are you planning to do the mod yourself? It's supposed to be one of the trickier cameras to do, hence the cost when the professionals do it. I bought my modded 6D from https://cheapastrophotography.com/ and he only removes the inner IR filter while leaving the LPF1 (UV/IR cut)  and sensor cleaning in place. As Michael mentions above, the sensor is reshimmed so autofocus works with lenses. A clip filter in this camera will also lock the mirror up so restrict you to Liveview if using for daytime photography.

• Like 1