NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My first blinking and a few other nebulas

Kon

The skies were predicted clear last night and I thought to have a final push for some nebulas before we lose the astro darkness. As a beginner I wanted to see M27 (Dumbbell). It was still low at my NE-E horizon at 1040pm so I started with M57 the is now becoming an old favourite. Easy to spot with my 25mm EP and it took the zoom of the 8mm EP. I could easily make the ring structure with the bright outside and more faint inside. I managed to spot the mag13 star next to it and I could also see quite a few of the mag14 stars around it with averted vision; no sign of the central star.  I told myself to try sketch it since I had plenty of time for things to come into view. Being unprepared I tried to do a quick sketch but using a small green light (I said unprepared so no red light) it completely ruined my night vision. I felt it was hopeless and i just enjoyed the visual aspect. I then moved to NGC 6826 a blinking planetary nebula. I was using my 25mm EP and i got in the area. With direct vision I could not see anything butI had read that with averted vision it should be obvious, and indeed it was there; thus the term blinking nebula. I felt silly and start talking to myself 'now you see me now you do not'. I quite enjoyed this. Popping in my 8mm the nebula was visible with direct vision and not blinking any longer. At that point some high haze came in and I thought to have a look at Veil since it was getting higher in the sky; with the OIII filter it was there but it was not as impressive as in my last report. It will have to wait until later in the summer. At this point M27 should be obvious; I moved in the area and I could see a nice nebula with two dense poles and fainter edges; i had the OIII filter still on and i think it gave it a nice contrast. Upon removing it more of the nebula was apparent (larger size) but less features. I quite liked how the filter brought some of the inner details but to the expense of the outer edges. The haze was still lingering and my last observation was IC 4592 (Blue Horse Nebula) in Scorpius. I could see a diffuse disk-shaped nebula with averted vision (having a bluish hue) expanding around the central star. Seeing was getting worst and I tried the IC 4604 but nothing was visible. I told myself it is time to stop. I had a look at the Antares since it looked so orange even without my telescope. In my 8mm EP it looked gold/dark orange. I took a swing to the M4 and it was just a smudge on my 25mm but I could resolve individual stars with my 8mm all the way to the core. At 130am I decided to move everything back in since the haze was getting worst. It is funny as I am writing this report it is [removed word] down with rain 🌧️ so I am glad i got out last night.

This is probably my last fuzzy nebula report until later in the summer. In reflection, it has been an amazing experience with my telescope since it arrived in December 2020 and I have been mesmerised finding and seeing all these fuzzies in this short period; I did not expect when I got my telescope my interest would develop hunting these fuzzies. I will start  planning for the late summer/autumn nebulas now. I loved writing these reports as well.

• Like 6

Nice report and I am beginning to accept that my eyes are not cut out for DSOs, even with 6" I'm not getting what I'd expect out of even M13 so can only be envious of what you're seeing, nice work!

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

Nice report and I am beginning to accept that my eyes are not cut out for DSOs, even with 6" I'm not getting what I'd expect out of even M13 so can only be envious of what you're seeing, nice work!

Thank you. I am not sure it is my eyes or the fact I have fairly good skies (bortle 4 edging to bortle 3). Do you have much light pollution where you are? M13 is a fuzzy ball at low magnification on my 8" but with 8mm and averted vision i can make some individual stars near the core.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

Yes, supposedly Bortle 4 here and not much light pollution. Using a 7mm in a 152mm achromat I can easily see the fuzzy ball but need averted vision to pick out the odd glimmer of any stars around the periphery. I think I'd only be kidding myself saying I could see anything in the core 🙂

• Like 1