Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CPC1100 worm gear adjustment?

DainiusU

Hi,

got ancient CPC1100 and just found that AZ base has some worm play… And I couldn’t find any online sources how to adjust it, while my nearest Celestron dealer is quite far :) Does anyone has some experience in this or see any good videos/articles how to do it? 
All good ideas appreciated!

ps. Central pin is not a problem, already checked it. 

14 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

I have a CPC800 and I had the base apart to cure another issue.   IIRC the worm is spring loaded onto the worm wheel.

I like this outfit because the backlash is notably low.

Yeah, I also tried and found that it is pushed against by a spring. Should I just tighten it or just take it as it is?

8A5C8697-1B2B-4C35-8AFE-DECDD6AA554E.jpeg

Rather than tightening the spring, now you have the base apart, try to find a cause for the backlash.

The more common problem with these mounts is that the nylon balls in the azimuth ball race wear out, or the big central nut tensioning the asimuth bearing is done up too tight. (The mount should spin easily with the azimuth clutch loosened.)