NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Star hopping

A general question about star hopping. I know that Newtonian images are “upside down” so u have to turn a paper star chart upside down to have everything oriented as one would see it in eyepiece. Is the same true when using sky safari? I have tried turning my phone upside down but then it automatically flips the screen right side up. 

Sky Safari plus has this feature, when you tap on the top right corner you can flip the view to match. I don't know if it's in the free one...1473542481_Screenshot_20210507-191915_SkySafari6Plus.thumb.jpg.e22e035bdbb862023b774e406873ec30.jpg

Or, Does your phone have Auto Rotate and if so can you turn it off?

Andy

Edited by Dark Vader
More info
  • Like 1

Oh my! Such a misleading user interface! What tripleped is asking for is "Rotate 180 deg" option. All I can see on that control screen are flips only. So people have to remember they need to tap "Both" or what exactly for the newtonian scheme to actually rotate it 180 deg??? It looks like the developer is thinking that the user will "match" the chart with their view, while in practice it's always in reverse: you match the view with the chart (that's the most basic navigation flow with any map!). So if the chart is not ALREADY rotated/flipped properly for the instrument a novice star-hopper is doomed as it is IMPOSSIBLE to match it with the EP view positively! That's what happening when developers aren't into the hobby themselves, because they never use their own creation for real :) 

Edited by AlexK

Tapping “both” definitely works! Just tried it. Never would’ve figured that out. Thanks to both of u! Now with that tool and the telrad circle I enabled on the app I should be good to go. I do have the pro version but yea not sure if free version enabled that. Thanks again👍

• Like 1

Tapping "Both" works with my Dob. There's another useful menu if you tap top left. It allows you to change star and DSO magnitude settings and navigate the view by Cardinal points without accessing them through settings. I only recently found out about these menus myself but find them useful.

• Like 1