NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Polar scope placement for az gti mount

This may seem like the daftest question. I'm going to try and fit a eq5 polar scope via rings onto a bracket. Most of the placement positions I've seen for the polar scope are mounted onto the actual mount. So when the mount moves in the RA axis the polar scope will also. So is it better to fit the polar scope to the wedge instead as this doesn't move with the scope, it stays fixed on polaris. I hope this makes sense

I presume you are trying somethhing like mentioned in this thread which could be tricky to replicate if the commercial bracket has a preset angle to cater for its offset from the actual polar axis of the mount.  Though if your bracket is fixed and you can contrive to align the polarscope using a distant point during the day (tv aerial etc) as one would on a standard eq mount, then I suppose it would work.

• Thanks 1

Yes it's very similar I'm trying to replicate as I think mounting the polar scope on the wedge side and not mount side will provide much better polar alignment and stay put. I'm trying a combination of dslr l bracket fitted to wedge plate then az gti on top of that. Then a cheese plate on the short side of l bracket to fit a dovetail clamp the fit a set of 2 rings onto a small dovetail a fit polar scope inside that. All parallel to the mount as it would be fitted there but keep still. I'll provide a drawing of what I mean after work. But think this'll work well 

Edited by AstroNebulee