NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Backlash adjustment while outside

matt_baker

Ever since I stripped, regreased and replaced my worm bearings, I could never get the Dec backlash to what it was when I got the mount. 

This issue plagued me and I tried multiple times again and again to minimise it by following tutorials, mainly astrobaby's, but it just never worked as I intended it to. There was pretty much no backlash on the Dec axis by rocking, neither was there anything on the gears but having gone outside and started guiding, PHD measured my backlash to be 6 seconds.

I took the necessary steps to ensure that it was accurate by calibrating at Dec 0 and slewing north slightly to cancel out any backlash. All guiding settings were correct for my setup too.

I decided a couple of weeks ago however to adjust the backlash while outside and everything loaded onto the mount, slewing to Dec 0 and doing backlash measurements, recalibrating and running GA for 5 minutes each time until the backlash was very negligible, which worked incredibly well and now it's essentially not there anymore. Dec guiding switches direction almost instantly with no issues.

I guess my question is, howcome more people don't adjust it with this method? Am I damaging the mount by doing so or is there another reason?

Matt

• Like 2

You did it correctly, it should really be done outside under normal operating conditions, as the cold makes a big difference, ideally it should be done outside in the cold...as when done in the warm, and then used outside, the chance of gears binding will be very high.....👍🏼

And I agree, why doesnt everyone do it this way....🤔🤔

Edited by Stuart1971
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

You did it correctly, it should really be done outside under normal operating conditions, as the cold makes a big difference, ideally it should be done outside in the cold...as when done in the warm, and then used outside, the chance of gears binding will be very high.....👍🏼

And I agree, why doesnt everyone do it this way....🤔🤔

I'd always had it on my mind but was shying away from it because I thought there was a reason people didn't do it like that and decided not to question it until it really bothered me and tried. 

For initial backlash adjustment after reassembly sure, make sure it's not binding and not rocking but for fine adjustment, be out in the field and dial it right in.

• Like 1

Exactly what I did with my early 2000s eq6 after a full stripdown and rebuild. Also set the spur gear meshing whilst outside too by using the peephole. 

Always best to make adjustments in real working conditions and you can get immediate guiding feedback to see if it worked. One adjustment at a time though! 

• Like 1