NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Pixinsight - BackgroundNeutralization

Hi Lee 

Thanks no all feedback is good gives me areas to concentrate on. I wanted to try it all in PI instead instead of cheating I’m and taking it back into PS to fix. I recall a feature in PI that shows the colour balance think it was image statistics and then a way to correct it I will go back and have a look at that. Haha I am bad with that saturation slider this was a toned down version lol I will learn one day! The earlier image was right at the start after background neutralisation noted the history tab though don’t remember seeing that and that will be handy!  

thanks 

• Like 1

I do DBE first, the only prior step being to edge crop any alignment artifacts. It works for me, though my dark site probably means that I never need Background Neutralization. I have the screen stretch (whatever those Spanish Inquisitors call it 😁) applied so I can see what its effects will be when I come to stretch the linear data. It seems odd to me to think of doing background neutralization first because, prior to DBE, I cannot be sure what is background sky and what isn't.

Once I have a clear idea of what really is background sky I adjust its colour balance in Photoshop by having background markers telling me the R,G and B values in the background. Very small tweaks to the shadows colour balance get me to equality in the colour channels. I've always found BN hard work by comparison.

Olly