NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sunspots 19/04 23/04 and 24/04

Fraunhoffer

Its been great to try out my Hershel wedge again this week. I lost my sketching mojo for a bit, and now its back.

I've enlarged the sunspots in their approximate positions for these, which I prefer as otherwise I'm just doing small dots.
For me, its all about taking some time to observe and look at some of the details.  This week has been great to be able to follow the rotation and changes from day to day.
I'm not sure I have the orientation the same on all of them - depended on my diagonal position.
The original sketches have been inverted from the paper and a template colour applied (from a blank sun pastel sketch).
Just as I was about to pack up yesterday I noticed a small dot on the Northern hemisphere, after checking  for eye floaters and specs of dust, this did materialise into ar2819, which since has started to decline.

Sunspots 2021-04-19 pspB.jpg

Sunspots sketch 2021-04-23 pspB.jpg

Sunspots 2021-04-24 pspB with new 2819.jpg

• Like 5

Excellent sketches. I always naturally enlarge sunspots when I draw. It takes me a bit of time to sort out the eye floaters, and dust/hair on the optics from actual spots on the sun. Have to try to live with the floaters.

• Thanks 1