Celestron CG-3 RA clock drive versions / modifications help needed please

OpusElite

I have just purchased an "RA clock drive kit" for my Celestron CG3 mount but it's the wrong type and I can't find the correct version anywhere.

It transpires that there are 2 versions of the CG3 mount:

1. The old mount is akin to the Skywatcher EQ-2 and the motor kit has a cog whcih drives the large cog on the RA control shaft.
  2. The new mount is very different and the motor kit fits over the RA control shaft.

(Bizarrely, the 2 motor kits share the same part number!)

Does anyone have a new style motor kit they are willing to sell or has anyone modified the old style motor to fit the new mount?

I found various threads on here, including one where someone had modified the old style kit to fit the new mount, but they are no longer active, so I can't get any info.

Two ideas I have for modifying are:

1. Fit a large cog to the RA control shaft and manufacture a mounting bracket for the motor box so drives the big cog.
  2. Remove the cog from the motor and couple the motor shaft to the RA control shaft, then modify the motor control circuit to alter the drive speed. (provided it has the torque for 'direct drive')

(The mount pictures I found online, the motor kit picture comes from an old thread on here)

cg3 mount - both types labelled.jpg

cg3 motor - both types labelled.jpg