NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Askar Narrowband Filters

johngm

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone had any experience using Askar Narrowband Filters ? I'm particularly looking at the 7nm OIII filter, as Baader filters are very hard to come by at the moment, and I need an OIII filter

Regards in advance

John 

8 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

If you can stretch to £179 I can recommend the Astronomik OIII 6nm. No halos when I tested on a bright star. (Despite my recent issues with halos and reflections which I suspect is my flattener, but that's another thread)

Thanks for the reply Dave, The Filter i was looking at is £179, as mine are 36mm and unmounted. The astronomik 36mm are mounted and £268, plus need a bit of Jiggery pokery to fit in the wheel with my Baaders, plus, more than i can afford at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

@FLO. Have you tested these, or have you had any feedback regarding performance. ? Like in my OP, i am interested in the 36mm OIII, but what are they like regarding reflections/Halos ?

Any feedback welcome

Regards John

Just to let everyone know, i have just bit the bullet and ordered one from FLO. Askar 7nm OIII Narrowband Filter | First Light Optics. When i receive it and the weather plays ball, i will do a review on this filter. Just a question to all, can you recommend a good Narrowband target for this time of year, that is good in OIII wavelength ? and maybe a target with a Bright star in the frame to test for Halo's/Reflections. I will be using it in conjunction with my SX694 m pro and ED80 scope

John

• 1 month later...
On 05/05/2021 at 10:40, johngm said:

Just to let everyone know, i have just bit the bullet and ordered one from FLO. Askar 7nm OIII Narrowband Filter | First Light Optics. When i receive it and the weather plays ball, i will do a review on this filter. Just a question to all, can you recommend a good Narrowband target for this time of year, that is good in OIII wavelength ? and maybe a target with a Bright star in the frame to test for Halo's/Reflections. I will be using it in conjunction with my SX694 m pro and ED80 scope

John

Hi John, how are you finding the Askar filter ? 

cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

Sods Law, since purchasing, I've been working away, and when I've been home, its done nothing but rain or clouds. Don't suppose I'll get to use it until next month when Astronomical Dark returns. When i do, i will post on here and do some test images to upload

John

On 06/07/2021 at 00:57, johngm said:

Hi Steve,

Sods Law, since purchasing, I've been working away, and when I've been home, its done nothing but rain or clouds. Don't suppose I'll get to use it until next month when Astronomical Dark returns. When i do, i will post on here and do some test images to upload

John

Know the feeling !

Thank you John, will keep my eyes peeled.