Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar observing portable set up

Paz

I had some spare time today waiting around whilst one of the kids was doing a sports club, so I packed up a portable white light solar set up and carried it about a kilometre from the sports hall to some playing fields.

Everything fits into the 2 bags on the floor.

The set up is a TS72 apo scope, Lacerta wedge, polarising filter, Baader solar continuum filter, ir/uv filter, 30mm NPL and 8mm Delos, Neewer carbon fibre tripod, TS AZT6 mount adapter, TS solar finder,  and some counterweights as the dovetail is too short to balance by scope placement alone.

Nice views, easy to observe because I can raise the scope to eye level, but a trade off to this is a bit more wobble/vibes.

Some nice spot action on the trailing/south quadrant which is exciting after a couple  of years of not much happening up there in white light.

20210417_114319.thumb.jpg.17039d020ececc92660a78840317bb9a.jpg

Edited by Paz
  • Like 5

It's nice to have a good portable setup! I got a lot of use from a Tele Vue 60, Lunt 1.25" wedge, and Quark on a Manfrotto tripod (I forget which one - it was fairly solid with my setup) with a mini giro. Some drift imaging was even possible using what was a relatively large chip at the time, the ASI174, and a lappy.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Luke said:

It's nice to have a good portable setup! I got a lot of use from a Tele Vue 60, Lunt 1.25" wedge, and Quark on a Manfrotto tripod (I forget which one - it was fairly solid with my setup) with a mini giro. Some drift imaging was even possible using what was a relatively large chip at the time, the ASI174, and a lappy.

That sounds like a good set up. I wouldn't mind trying a quark or other Ha set up eventually.

4 hours ago, Roy Challen said:

Here's mine, less than 5kg all up.

IMG_20210227_111859803.jpg

Very nice it's impressive getting a set up that light when you think a normal set up could easily have just the scope itself weighing much more than that.

• Like 2