NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

PHD Guiding the HEQ5

jgs001

I need some advice. I know I said I wasn't going to look into this for a couple of weeks.... well that 2 weeks is nearly up, and I still haven't got the HEQ5 outside yet, damn weather :(:) . Anyway....

I've got the Mount, Scopes and Cameras, and PHD installed. PHD insists it needs a suitable driver for communication with the mount. At the moment, I have the ST4 interfact cable and port that shipped with the mount, it's got a Serial connector on the other end. Can I just use this, or do I need something more ?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was reading through those threads the other day. I was hoping that I could do a few tests without buying/building any additional components. I have the SynTrek version, so it's not a goto handset, although I guess as to upgrade to the pro is just a handset replacement, the wiring is the same.

Forgive me John but isn't the Syntrek version the one with the goto motors and board ? Buying a H/set 's gonna cost you 299.00, but am I wrong in thinking you can go the EQmod route without having to do anything but sort out a cable ? ie the EQdir or TTL232R(5v)

PHD will pulseguide via eqmod and Ascom

That's right, I wasn't planning on getting the handset.

So eqmod is the only way to go and I'll need to sort out the cable. I was hoping to get away with just plugging what I already have in for a test :(, ah well.

Sorry I didn't spot this post earlier, The syntrek version is really for PC control, EQmod is really worth the effort, does make the £300 handset pointless :( Have a search through the forum, and have a look on the EQMod website, they give instructions on how to make your own cables.

If you don't fancy making your own they have links to buy premade units on the EQMod site as well. If you search the forum for ftdi you should get a couple of threads about how to make the usb cable, it's the cheapest/easiest solution though.

If you get stuck you can PM me if you like :)

John,

I've got a Syntrek (EQ6) mount as well. I use parallel guiding through the opisolated parallel port to ST4 thingy that Andy at Astronomiser sells. I haven't done the goto thing/EQMOD yet with mine so I'll be interested how you work through this. :(

Sam

Hmmm, interesting, thanks Sam. I was hoping I could use the Serial to ST4 cable that shipped with the mount.... I'm just struggling to find the PHD/Ascom driver for using it though. I think maybe that EQASCOM (part of the EQMOD package) is the solution to this. My only concern is the possible risk to the mount of the serial signals on the ST4 port. Is anyone operating like this ?

thanks Karlo, do I need the eqdir cable for using the ST4 port, or can I use the cable that came with the mount ?

The EQDIR cable is not for connection to the mounts ST4 port. If using an EQDIR it connects to the port where a SynScan handcontroller would be otherwise attached.

ST4 guiding occurs external to, and separate, from EQASCOM (EQMOD) control. The only part EQASCOM (or the handcontroller if fitted) has to play in ST4 guiding is in initially setting the rate at which the mount will move during the guiding pulse.

Chris.

Thanks for the info Chris. Does that mean that I have 2 choices

1) using eqdir and eqmod and replacing the syntrek controller

2) using gpusb or equiv and using the ST4 port

And what is the cable for that Skywatcher/Synta provide ? Is that for the eqdir to mount connection ?

Thanks for the info Chris. Does that mean that I have 2 choices

1) using eqdir and eqmod and replacing the syntrek controller

2) using gpusb or equiv and using the ST4 port

And what is the cable for that Skywatcher/Synta provide ? Is that for the eqdir to mount connection ?

Well sort of.... If you just want to guide and you're happy with the mount using its default ST4 rate (I don't know what that is but perhaps the manual tells you) then you can use the GPUSB via the ST4 port.

If you want to have control over the ST4 guide rate then you'll need to either attach a SynScan handcontroller or use EQDIR/EQMOD.

If you go down the EQDIR/EQMOD route then you also gain the option of ASCOM based Pulseguiding in which case you don't need the GPUSB or ST4 at all.

The cable you have certainly will not be intended for EQDIR - Synta do not support EQMOD.

Chris.

Thanks Chris, good info. I don't know what the rates are or need to be. The default rates, settable from the SynTrek controller are

x0.25, x0.5, x0.75 and x1

so if anyone can advise me whats best that it would be good ...

So the Serial DB9 to RJ45/12 cable provided could be anything and therefore it's safer to ignore it/bin it ?

It sounds like the best option is EQMOD, how effective is this in a non permanent setup ?

So for 18.00 for a TTL232R (5v) and an RJ45 module (length of USB cable optional) you can all the benefits of EQmod :( :hello1:

I was using eqmod prior to the pier, though TBH it really makes a difference with the pier. Using eqmod with a lappy will offer you soooo much. Join the yahoo group John and take a look

Karlo

Yup !

so from the lappy say,

Lappy-TTL232R-RJ45-mount

or lappy-TTL232R-USB cable-RJ45(module/plug) -Mount

If you take another look at the thread linked to by Billy and scroll down you should find a link to pic posted by Nathkrul. He connected the reqd wires from the fly head of the TTL to an RJ45 to connect to the mount as did Starjumper ! (only 3x wires!!)

Thanks Chris, good info. I don't know what the rates are or need to be. The default rates, settable from the SynTrek controller are

x0.25, x0.5, x0.75 and x1

so if anyone can advise me whats best that it would be good ...

So the Serial DB9 to RJ45/12 cable provided could be anything and therefore it's safer to ignore it/bin it ?

It sounds like the best option is EQMOD, how effective is this in a non permanent setup ?

Oh ok, I didn't realise you could set the guiding rate from the syntrek. That's good if you can as it means you could just use GPUSB/ST4 and SynTrek. Picking a rate to use is probably finger in the air stuff. If you find that the guider is over correcting then choose a smaller rate. Guiding programs themselves often have aggresiveness controls that can also compensate by reducing the pulse width so its often a case of fiddling around with all the controls till you get something that works!

It sounds as though that cable is similar/same as the one used to connect a SynScan to a PC - I haven't seen a Syntrek controller - does this have an RJ45 input port?

The downside of EQASCOM is you need a PC/laptop reasonably close. If you're imaging then you'll likely have one on hand anyhow. The advantages of EQASCOM are many and most apply as much to to non permanent setup as they do to those permanently mounted. Indeed some features are specifically aimed at non permanent mounts, for instance I recently added a PolarScope alignment utility to increase the speed and accuracy of initial setup.

For more info and introduction to eqmod take a look at our project website and wiki

http://eq-mod.sourceforge.net/

Chris.

I've checked the SynTrek handset, no ports on it. The cable that came with the mount has a connector for the ST4 port only, the handset has the RJ45 connector on the end. I figure for guiding I need to have a PC anyway, so it's just a case of which interface to use. Thanks for the link Chris, I've been nosing around on there.

So for the RJ45 connector, the easiest and simplest option is to hack a standard CAT 5 cable and use an end I guess, especially if you don't have the correct crimping tools etc. :(

Yup that's pretty much it. Don't make the cable length more than 1m and be very careful about which wires are in the pin slots 4,5,6 for when you connect the wires at the other end making sure they match :(

Extra length if reqd can always be added between the TTL chip USB plug and the lappy via an ext USB or Active USB or powered hub.

There's a good few of us on to help out if it you need it John.

Karlo

Archived