NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Issue with astromodifying Canon 450D

KSteve

Hi all,

I recently decided to attempt to astromodify an old Canon 450D, adding in the Baader Astro-Conversion filter - I followed the modification procedure on Gary Honis' website and managed to swap the filters and reassemble the camera, however when it came to switching the camera back on I get no response.

I've tried reseating and repositioning all ribbon cables that are unclipped during the process - including cleaning all contacts with isopropyl alcohol to make sure nothing is messing with the connection. I've lost count of the amount of times I've tried doing this, and even removed the rest of the body to make reseating ribbon cables I and J easier. I've tried with different batteries just incase, and have noticed that if the battery is left in and the camera is switched on, they do drain over time - so I expect the issue lies elsewhere.

Has anyone had any experience with this, and if so I would love to hear any recommendations of what I should do next!

5 hours ago, KSteve said:

Hi all,

I recently decided to attempt to astromodify an old Canon 450D, adding in the Baader Astro-Conversion filter - I followed the modification procedure on Gary Honis' website and managed to swap the filters and reassemble the camera, however when it came to switching the camera back on I get no response.

I've tried reseating and repositioning all ribbon cables that are unclipped during the process - including cleaning all contacts with isopropyl alcohol to make sure nothing is messing with the connection. I've lost count of the amount of times I've tried doing this, and even removed the rest of the body to make reseating ribbon cables I and J easier. I've tried with different batteries just incase, and have noticed that if the battery is left in and the camera is switched on, they do drain over time - so I expect the issue lies elsewhere.

Has anyone had any experience with this, and if so I would love to hear any recommendations of what I should do next!

check the ribbons sockets, see if you bent any of the pins. they are usually difficult to fix if they are indeed bent.. I once ruined a phone whilst trying to change the display and ended bu bending some pins.

Did you take anti-static precautions ?

Did you mark the ribbon insertion depths with a Sharpie ?

Did you get the "black part" up by I and J back into the white socket ? (instruction 16) ?

I sometimes forget the ribbon in instruction 19.

There's a limit to the number of times you can remove and replace the ribbons before they get damaged.

The camera won't come on if the tiny switch that is closed by the battery lid is damaged (but you say the battery is draining).

Michael

Not specifically this model but I have done many Panasonics  inc de-bayering plus one Canon - I had loads of £50 burners from ebay

Those ribbons and connectors are real easy to break, bent pins, plus static frying things - buy a mat and cable!