NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Cave Nebula

Craig123

The Cave Nebula.

Catalogued in 1959 as Sh2 155 this is a relatively faint star forming region in Cepheus near the brighter  Elephants trunk nebula. Given the name by Patrick Moore who thought the emission lines  resembled the mouth of a cave.( I see an astral juggler aswell  😁  ) It lies to the North  2400 lights years away and this image consists of 21 hours of light at 550mm captured this month. Gases are Sulpher~ very bright round central tower, Hydrogen as well as  Oxygen which gives the blue gas clouds above.
Esprit 100 Telescope
HEQ5 Stellar drive 5
Zwo1600 mono
SHO Hubble palette in Pixinsight

2021-04-09_09-59-33.jpg

Edited by Craig123
  • Like 17

• Craig123 changed the title to The Cave Nebula
26 minutes ago, Tommohawk said:

That's lovely and not a target I knew of - so much stuff out there! Pretty low in the sky this time of year though isnt it?

Its up  between 30 and 40 degrees getting better as it gets later Tom. 

Im normally a galaxy fan myself but the cave nebula is one of my favourites, it looks amazing in rgb colour too when deep enough, this is a lovely image and your stars are nice and small and tight