Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dont jump to conclusions - bad data or poor processing ?

The data for this image was captured back in September and despite my best efforts at the time the output was pretty poor. So much so that I did not bother to post here (I think!). I put it down to just very poor data.

But six months of learning and reading made wonder if it may have been more down to processing - particularly pre processing. I had become aware that the 700d sometimes shows some amp glow at the edge and also learned about the potential problems of using bias frames and scaling of darks.

It was 4 hours of 240s subs with the 80ED and the 700d with the L-enhance. So I went back to this and did a full re-pro from first principles, without bias and without scaling and with a more aggressive cull of poor subs.And this is what came out.

1075763332_Bubblewideredo2021_s.thumb.png.02c0f039744382f318f434ced32b09ce.png

Now, its still not fantastic but I do think it is significantly improved from the first two versions: here the original done in PS

Bubble_Wide_EDm.jpg.7d7853ea46fcc77883d64c4cae0ed7cf.jpg

and this my attempt once I started using Pixinsight and clearly showing the amp glow problem

1978332976_Bubble_wide-redo_HOO.thumb.png.b03aa8277ccf6538b91e2e1a3544fddc.png

So for me this has been quite instructive as it has shown me that it is easy - especially for beginners - to jump to the conclusion that your data is poor when the data may be usable if you take care in your processing.

• Like 3

A substantial improvement @mackiedlm  It's hard to believe the second image is from the same data set (except the framing).  

Unfortunately, I think it is definitely possible that good data is perhaps not being used to its potential.  Highlights a good reason to hold on to your data and revisit it later with fresh knowledge and fresh eyes!

Let your ASI2600 loose on the same area :) 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, geeklee said:

A substantial improvement @mackiedlm  It's hard to believe the second image is from the same data set (except the framing).  

Unfortunately, I think it is definitely possible that good data is perhaps not being used to its potential.  Highlights a good reason to hold on to your data and revisit it later with fresh knowledge and fresh eyes!

Let your ASI2600 loose on the same area :) 

Thanks lee. Yes, I cant wait for the summer /autumn nebula to come back so i can the let the 2600 at them.

• Like 1