Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ASIAIR pro guiding problems

Hello all. I have issues when guiding using using the asiair pro. These issues are the error values produced. I cannot get much lower than 3" error and there are other issues that come and go. Having a good read on the internet/zwo forums it seems this is a known issue when guiding using the asiair for many people. There seems lots of people are having issues when guiding using the asiair pro since it moved to the 1.5 update and beyond. Having only had mine for a relatively short period I have no experience of the guiding before the 1.5 update. 

Any one else care to share their views/experience guiding using the asiair pro? Have you had any issues with it since the last couple of updates or are you happy with how the guiding is going?

10 hours ago, Chefgage said:

Hello all. I have issues when guiding using using the asiair pro. These issues are the error values produced. I cannot get much lower than 3" error and there are other issues that come and go. Having a good read on the internet/zwo forums it seems this is a known issue when guiding using the asiair for many people. There seems lots of people are having issues when guiding using the asiair pro since it moved to the 1.5 update and beyond. Having only had mine for a relatively short period I have no experience of the guiding before the 1.5 update. 

Any one else care to share their views/experience guiding using the asiair pro? Have you had any issues with it since the last couple of updates or are you happy with how the guiding is going?

I haven't had mine for very long so I have no experience of pre either. However I haven't had any issues with guiding that I have seen.

Before I fitted the belt mod to my HEQ5 Pro I was seeing 1.15" total RMS error on average. Post belt mod I am getting 0.8-0.9" RMS error.

3 doesn't sound right though. What is your set-up? Are all the values correct in the ASIair Pro settings? E.g. scope and mount details, latitude, longitude etc....? Are you balanced correctly?

Just trying to think of a few things off the top of my head.

I will let other more experienced imagers chime in.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jonny_H said:

I haven't had mine for very long so I have no experience of pre either. However I haven't had any issues with guiding that I have seen.

Before I fitted the belt mod to my HEQ5 Pro I was seeing 1.15" total RMS error on average. Post belt mod I am getting 0.8-0.9" RMS error.

3 doesn't sound right though. What is your set-up? Are all the values correct in the ASIair Pro settings? E.g. scope and mount details, latitude, longitude etc....? Are you balanced correctly?

Just trying to think of a few things off the top of my head.

I will let other more experienced imagers chime in.

Thanks for the info, I am waiting on a heq5 pro so it's good to know what someone else gets error wise guiding using this mount. I am currently using an star adventurer pro so only guiding in RA. My polar alignment is good as is the balancing. As far as I know all my settings are correct (I have experimented with different ones as well). I have on occasion managed down to 2" error. This was with a Samyang 135mm lens though. So maybe I am asking too much of the star adventurer. If I switch off guiding I do start to get star trails so the guiding does have an effect at least.