Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moon Maiden

Nyctimene

Was out just after midnight with the 18" to test the Docter 12.5 mmf eyepiece at the moon. A fascinating experience, to wander with 164x mag across the lunar disc, that fits completely in the 0.51° TFoV. Average seeing allowed for viewing the concentricity of Hesiodus A quite well, whereas Marth was clearly visible as an oblong crater, but without showing the inner ring. Some fine rilles were just N of Marth - Rimae Ramsden, three R. Hippalus, and further N the narrow R. Agatharchides in crater P. Montes Riphaeus presented with a giraffe-like shape; the keyhole-crater Fauth was obvious; nice detail of the Copernicus terraces. Unexpectedly, the rim of Sinus Iridum was already lit and formed the "Golden Handle", with the floor of S. Iridum partly still dark, partly presenting shallow lava "tidal waves". A view, that I've enjoyed many times before. After some minutes, suddenly a new feature took form - Promontorium Heraclides showed a human face, and, squirreled away in some brain region, the association jumped out: This must be the "Maiden in the Moon"! A really pretty "romantic" image; a woman with long hair, looking down on the floor of S. Iridum. Cassini was the first observer to spot this light-shadow phenomenon. The Docter gave a crystal-clear and sharp, neutral colored view - a really powerful combo, no need to swap to another eyepiece. After one hour, pleased to bed.

Attached two pictures from the net:

6375211-Moon Maiden.jpg

The Maiden in the Moon, Cassini, 1679

(Engraving by Cassini,1679)

Thanks for reading

Stephan

Edited by Nyctimene
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Excellent report, Stephan. I will be looking for the Maiden in the Moon now! I also got a Docter recently. I used it last night with the Baader VIP Barlow to observe the Barker's Quadrangle feature in Mare Crisium. It's given me the best views of M51 from home that I've ever had. Can't wait to try it at my dark site!

Here's the thread on Barker's Quadrangle

Edited by Littleguy80
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1