NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Picture of moons features?

JMHO, get one of the smaller downloads... the VMA's 422Mb 'Pro' version is overkill for the average lunar observer. The 6.2Mb 'Light' version is excellent for anyone just starting out, but I prefer the 14Mb 'Expert' version because it includes the libration zones.

Leegsi, the appearance of lunar features is constantly changing because of light angles and libration. If you have a photo of a specific feature it might look quite different when you're viewing.. that's why we refer to the VMA and Rukl's maps so much.

There's a site which might interest you, though. They have some 'iffy' stuff (like adverts selling acres of the Moon :( ), but the scroll-over images in their full moon atlas are kind of neat.

I found VMA very problematic on Vista. It wouldn't work at all on my wife's laptop, and only with difficulty on mine. In the end I discovered that only the Light (non Open-GL) version would run properly. I eventually went through the upheaval of retro-grading my laptop back down to Windows XP (had lots of other issues with Vista) and found that both the Expert and the Pro versions now work very well. It is, in fact, an excellent program.

Archived