Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing when traveling - binoculars? small telescope? none?

4 hours ago, Thingo said:

This is what makes it difficult to decide on size for a pair of binoculars 😉 very preference based. On one hand I tend to lean towards the 10x50 or 10x56, but on the other hand I feel like it's a bit of a waste since I'll have such great skies - assuming weather is good of course - and then perahps my small binoculars are fine after all? Going with the 15x70 is significantly bulkier and will take up a lot of space while hiking. But in return the magnification (and aperture too of course) is very different from my 10x26. 

What about getting a spotting scope? Less room in my hiking backpack, don't need to bring oculars, mount and diagonal. Probably cheaper than a telescope of the same size. And the 45 degree angle while observing makes it easier on the neck! Will do some research on this. 

AlexK, I looked for this tripod you're referring to, found lots of pictures of it, but I couldn't find anywhere to buy it. Do you know if it's still in production? I like the idea of it.. 

Honestly, that was only an idea. I have no clue where to buy one. But it's extremely trivial to make. Just find a milling machine shop around (some scientific research facilities usually have one) or online in your region. Myself, I would just 3D print it if needed, e.g.: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:650943 (that's another option for you, as 3D printing shops also exist, including online).

Spotting scope is not very good idea, as their optics is made for day time use (sports, birding, whaling). Thus a lot of light loses and too high zoom are typical in them. Also most are quite heavy compared to a typical refractor.

IMO, a newtonian is still your best bet. Lowest mass*volume per aperture. That lowtech solution can be purchased component by component, and bolted together in a couple of weekends' evenings. With some deficiencies, but totally working in the truly dark observing spot. An you know how to bolt/unbolt it quick :) 

Edited by AlexK
  • Thanks 1

This is one of my 'lightweight' travel 'scopes...

IMG_0660.thumb.JPG.c0cda8510acd51b8dccf7f8596e13ace.JPGA5057402-94DE-4E35-A2DE-D8A6BDEFB67B.thumb.jpeg.2165097e2282e5347993d6249a14bd74.jpeg

...my 're-modded' ETX105, DwarfStar alt-az mount and a Manfrotto PROB tripod + a few eyepieces & filters.

All of the above fit in a backpack, apart from the tripod.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Philip R said:

This is one of my 'lightweight' travel 'scopes...

IMG_0660.thumb.JPG.c0cda8510acd51b8dccf7f8596e13ace.JPGA5057402-94DE-4E35-A2DE-D8A6BDEFB67B.thumb.jpeg.2165097e2282e5347993d6249a14bd74.jpeg

...my 're-modded' ETX105, DwarfStar alt-az mount and a Manfrotto PROB tripod + a few eyepieces & filters.

All of the above fit in a backpack, apart from the tripod.

Lovely CAT, Philip!
However, CATs are heavy in comparison, esp Maks, and at 1:14 it's not really for deep skys the OP is after in B-1, as those worth the effort benefit an UWA field.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Louis D said:

Ever tried to look higher than 45 degrees in the sky with a 45 degree diagonal?  You either need to raise the telescope above eye level, crouch down low, or sit on the ground or close to it.

That I can imagine. Especially for a tall person, and not that flexible, like myself that must be really annoying. But my thinking is rather that it's still more comfortable than a pair of binoculars. Unless I go horizontal on a yoga mat 😃

14 hours ago, AlexK said:

Honestly, that was only an idea. I have no clue where to buy one. But it's extremely trivial to make. Just find a milling machine shop around (some scientific research facilities usually have one) or online in your region. Myself, I would just 3D print it if needed, e.g.: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:650943 (that's another option for you, as 3D printing shops also exist, including online).

Spotting scope is not very good idea, as their optics is made for day time use (sports, birding, whaling). Thus a lot of light loses and too high zoom are typical in them. Also most are quite heavy compared to a typical refractor.

IMO, a newtonian is still your best bet. Lowest mass*volume per aperture. That lowtech solution can be purchased component by component, and bolted together in a couple of weekends' evenings. With some deficiencies, but totally working in the truly dark observing spot. An you know how to bolt/unbolt it quick :) 

Good point about making one myself!

Didn't know about the light loss of spotting scopes..

Will look into some newtonians!