NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

synscan 2 star alignment won't accept location

keen

Hi All, I have a new sky-watcher AZ-GTe and controller with android version of SynScan. When doing 2 star alignment, and I select the first star and manually point, most of the time, the bar where you touch when aligned does not highlight. There is no place to accept the location and move on. Sometimes, it will work correctly and allow me to accept the first star, move to the second, but no way to accept that. If I do it a few times, or switch back and forth to the pro version, it will eventually work with both. After that, all is good. Any suggestions on what may be wrong?

thanks

As Lee says, your last two movements when aligning have to be up and right ( or right and up). This ensures consistency in the final alignment.

In practice it means you should aim to get the alignment star just below and to the left of the centre, and then do the tiniest nudge up and right to get it centred.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, keen said:

Ah, maybe trying to get a consistent setting on the gear backlash. They couldn't put that in the manual or something? Ugh

thanks

It doesn't have anything to do with backlash as far as I understand, it's a synscan app issue you were saying about. Sorry if I don't understand your reply. Clear skies 

3 hours ago, keen said:

Ah, maybe trying to get a consistent setting on the gear backlash. They couldn't put that in the manual or something? Ugh

thanks

It's quoted in my Synscan manual (under 'Tips for improving alignment accuracy - Mechanical backlash')

• Like 1