Serial to USB connection

I have been using APT for some time now and connect my HEQ5 via a Serial to USB cable to my laptop without issue, I have now changed my laptop to a significantly higher specified model and have just completed working through the multitude of installations including APT.

Everything is fine other than the software / PC's refusal to see the mount, informing me that "No driver was found for the serial to USB connector" it consequently sees no "com port" in the Ascom connection menu, thoughts.

The options I see unless anyone can flag up the source of a driver is to connect via my WiFi dongle or get a new "direct cable that bypasses the serial connector?

Help much appreciated

Driver for the USB/Serial adapter may be FTDI or Prolific, you must have had it on your old laptop so maybe search it for it.

Dave

Does Windows give you an option to search for a driver ?

Edited by Davey-T

Have you done an online search for the drivers for your serial to USB adaptor? Some of the cheaper adaptors have problems with Windows 10 but the likes of SkyWatcher and Belkin do work. 

Another option is to go for the EQDIR cable and replace the hand controller.