Galaxy Season with a OSC - Filters?

smr

Hi,

Just wondering (as the last time I imaged a Galaxy I only had a stock DSLR) what to do for Galaxy season now that I have an OSC. Is it better to just image without any filter? I only have two filters, the L-eNhance, and a basic Sky and Moon glow filter.

I would personally image filterless.  That said, galaxies often do emit at hydrogen alpha wavelengths, which can be merged into RGB images to provide extra detail.  Therefore, if you had time, you could also use you L-enhance to capture additional data and merge the red channel (h-alpha) into the RGB fto give them extra impact.  

• Like 1

I've just acquired an Optolong L-Pro filter, specifically as it seems the best tradeoff between band pass suitability for galaxies and still having worthwhile blocking of light pollution. I get dreadful gradients in the low to mid altitudes facing south towards the wonderful lights of Blackpool. Leo and Virgo have proved difficult areas for me so far without filters. So not really to enhance galaxies but to (hopefully) control gradients and general sky-glow.

My understanding is that if your sky is dark anyway there will be no benefit from using a broad band filter. The narrow/dual/tri band filters aren't best suited to galaxies that don't strongly emit in the narrow bands. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys. tbh I was happy with the images I was getting with my stock 80D and no filters, on Galaxies, so I will image filter-less. I guess with a benefit of no filter you can retain nice coloured stars as well. 

These are the colour stars I got with my 80D and no filter - it's a heavy crop, and I should be able to crop in more with the 2600 with more megapixels.

2125031886_48987598948_9b92dc5c76_o(10).thumb.jpg.b84739104833a298872592071f1adab6.jpg

Edited by smr
  • Like 2