Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help with Lundt wedge problem.

domstar

Hi,

I tried some white light solar for the first time this year. I brought the sun to focus and if I angle my eye incorrectly to the eyepiece, I can see a small bright dot shining- a bit like a bright Venus with CA. It's never happened before and is concerning, of course. It's the same if I change eyepieces. Does anyone know what might be causing this? and what to do about it?

Thanks

Dominic

Hi Dominic, greetings from the UK 🙂

Presumably you’re using a proper solar filter designed for solar observing.  The Skywatcher 100 ED is a very nice telescope, is that the one you have the problem with, or the 70mm Bresser in your signature?  The “small bright dot” is most likely some sort of reflection within your kit.

You’ve mentioned “if I angle my eye incorrectly to the eyepiece”.  If there’s no problem when you don’t observe that way, perhaps you have your own solution ?

Ed.

• Thanks 1