Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Please help with a RIGID guiding setup?

Hi everyone

i have a SW 80ED, just like the one in the attached image. 

I am planning to use the 9x50 finder scope as the auto guider with a 290MM Mini. 

I want to avoid using the finder bracket, as it’s on the side, and messes up the balance of the scope, and it does not really fix the finder shoes very well. 

I have one of the newer SW green 33.5cm dovetails which has 4 holes along the shaft. 

Can I use it on TOP of the scope and bolt it to the two holes which are on top of  the stock rings of the ED80?

If so, can you please advise

1- what bolts to get and size exactly, and ones that will not protrude and mar the OTA? I suppose I need to know the SIZE and THREAD PATTERN of the bolts? Do they thread through the dovetail as well, or are the dovetail holes just plain holes with no thread?

2- please advise what exact SIZE rings to get for the 9x50 finder? Preferably white? 

I was advised to use the Svbony rings attached below, but I think those are made for the finder bracket?

many thanks for any help. 

woild be great if you have the setup I have in mind, to show some pics. 

A1882B48-B002-447D-B6C2-ED773EB66948.jpeg

5E247729-9360-4C37-B5AE-22E8D164A5B2.jpeg

B979DF4C-8F94-41FF-9ACA-C65FE774A32C.jpeg

Edited by oymd

57 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

You could do that. I like to have a rigid bar between the rings to stop any possible flexure when you mount or dismount it.

Yes, I prefer for the rings to be connected and firmly attached to each other. Isnt there an option where there is a bar with two rings that can CLAMP directly onto the green dovetail bar, so as to avoid the silver clamp you are using above?

7 hours ago, PeterCPC said:

I have done exactly that with my ED80. You can use the SVBONY guidescope rings but you will also need a clamp to fix it to the vixen bar. See photos.

P1040185.JPG

P1040186.JPG

P1040187.JPG

Ok, if I go with your setup, I will need to buy the rings and bar I linked to on AMAZON.

But I see in your setup TWO additional fixtures?

There is a WHITE clamp attached to the SVBONY bar and rings, and the white clamp sits in ANOTHER silver clamp?

What are those parts, and where can I get them?

Many thanks

The white "clamp" is just a synta foot for finderscopes. On FLO for about £5 - I sold one recently. The silver clamp is by SVBONY but FLO do the both as a set https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetails-saddles-clamps/astro-essentials-vixen-style-dovetail-clamp-for-finder-shoes.html

I already had the clamp so I made up my own.

• Like 1