Mini travel tripod

AstroNebulee

Hi. 

Hopefully we are going to Lanzarote in November all being well and I'm researching for small mini tripods to fit my dslr onto, so I can take some nice wide field astro photos whilst away, it needs go in my suitcase and don't want it to take up to much room. I've seen a manfrotto one with a ball head that locks for £20,im not looking to spend over £20 really. Any advice if anyone has used a mini tripod before on holidays. Thank you 

Edited by LeeHore7

25 minutes ago, LeeHore7 said:

Hi. 

Hopefully we are going to Lanzarote in November all being well and I'm researching for small mini tripods to fit my dslr onto, so I can take some nice wide field astro photos whilst away, it needs go in my suitcase and don't want it to take up to much room. I've seen a manfrotto one with a ball head that locks for £20,im not looking to spend over £20 really. Any advice if anyone has used a mini tripod before on holidays. Thank you 

you wont get anothing of any quality for £20

• Like 1

What sort of weight are you thinking of using on top of it?  One of them little Manfrotto you are talking about, really they are geared more to cell phones and GoPro and would struggle to hold steady a lightweight mirrorless and kit lens.

If you're serious about taking a stable mount, and wanting to hold a couple of kilos steady, then upping the budget is a must really as one of the most overlooked things in photography is the tripod.  Upping the budget to £60ish would start getting in to the territory of things like the Zomei Z818 or the ESDDI 64, both of those should hold up to a few kilos quite easily and without being fully extended should be quite stable as well. And fold up to fit in hold luggage, and weigh less than a couple of litres of coke.

In a similar vein, I've been using a Benro IT15 for years for dragging off where it'd be costly to take one of the big tripods, cost a bit more (can't remember, but about 85€) and just spending that few extra notes saved a lot of disappointment in the "what could have been" category.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BCN_Sean said:

What sort of weight are you thinking of using on top of it?  One of them little Manfrotto you are talking about, really they are geared more to cell phones and GoPro and would struggle to hold steady a lightweight mirrorless and kit lens.

If you're serious about taking a stable mount, and wanting to hold a couple of kilos steady, then upping the budget is a must really as one of the most overlooked things in photography is the tripod.  Upping the budget to £60ish would start getting in to the territory of things like the Zomei Z818 or the ESDDI 64, both of those should hold up to a few kilos quite easily and without being fully extended should be quite stable as well. And fold up to fit in hold luggage, and weigh less than a couple of litres of coke.

In a similar vein, I've been using a Benro IT15 for years for dragging off where it'd be costly to take one of the big tripods, cost a bit more (can't remember, but about 85€) and just spending that few extra notes saved a lot of disappointment in the "what could have been" category.

Thank you for your advice, it's for my Canon 450d and 18-55 kit lens, so now will look at a slightly higher budget for something as don't want to be carting round the suitcases with a whacking great tripod. I'll do some more research, thank you 

• Like 1